A fishing hook is an essential accessory to make a fishing trip more complete and fun. Besides, this is also a form of sports to decrease stress after hard working hours. But catching small fish or big fish, more or less fish, depends not only on the angler's technique but also on fishing accessories. If you choose the right fishing gear from a quality hook, the success rate of your fishing session will increase.
However, after a long period of use, the fishing hook will be blunted. After that, some anglers will usually throw it away. That happens when anglers don't know how to use a hook sharpener. This article will discuss the Benefits of Hook Sharpener For Fishing, and it may change your decision to throw the blunt fishing hooks.
1. How to know your fishing hook is blunted?
Not all fishing hooks are always sharp. After a long time using, the hooks will be blunted, incredibly cheap hooks made of low-quality soft steel. Even high-quality fishing hooks become blunt after fishing for a while or from being hooked on rocks or hard objects in the water.
Chemically hooks can be a good choice in this situation. This hook is exceptionally sharp and has anti-corrosion features. It can be said that chemically hook is always sharp. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive and not for all anglers. Instead, how about using the hook sharpener to make it sharp again and again.
Before it, let's check your hook one more time if it is blunt or not. You can check the sharpness of your carp hooks with a simple test. First, you use your thumb and index finger to hold the fishing hook by the shark. Place the hook point at a slight angle on the nail of the other thumb. Allow the point of the nail to rest under its weight, no need to press it into the nail. Gently pull the hook all the way down to the nail's tip. In case the hook isn't sharp enough, it will slip across the nail. And It's sharp enough to catch the fish if it grips well.
You should check the above test after each fishing trip. Sharper hooks are easily damaged or blunted. During the fishing time, the hook will frequently catch on something such as sand, wood, weed, and other materials on the way. Never use blunt hooks when fishing because it just wastes your time. That is why this article is here to highlight the Benefits of Hook Sharpener For Fishing!
2. Benefits of Hook Sharpener For Fishing
As we discussed above, many anglers will throw blunt hooks away after it is blunted. But this is such a waste. Instead, if anglers try to sharpen these hooks, they can be reused multiple times. You will save lots of money from buying the new fishing hooks. Perhaps you'll decide to avoid the issue entirely by sharpening the hook by yourself.
However, this may cause more harm than good. Watching YouTube tutorial videos may make it seem simple. Still, hook sharpening is a definitely challenging task if you do it by yourself without professional equipment, and you will almost certainly ruin a few hooks before getting it right.
You may even start fishing with hooks you think you've improved but have blunted. The hook sharpener should be the tool that any anglers can consider when joining fishing. With its easy use, every angler can do it, even beginners. At least, that is much safer for your finger.
Another benefit of a hook sharpener for fishing is that it improves the efficiency of your fishing trip. In fact, keep your hooks sharp to cause the least amount of damage to a fish's mouth and to avoid missed strikes. As a result, anglers can catch undamaged fish.
3. How to Sharpen Fishing Hook
There are probably as many hook sharpening gadgets and techniques as there are anglers. To begin sharpening your fishing hooks, you'll need a few steps. Get yourself a suitable fishing hook file: There are lots in Amazon or fishing equipment stores. You can look around, choosing the one suitable for you. After that, you can practice following this guideline.
- Place the hook's shank in the vice and tighten the wheel to keep it in place.
- Make six (prefer) smooth strokes towards the point with the file on the top edge, opposite the barb. Always remember: Less is more in this case. When sharpening hooks, another common blunder is using too many strokes against the hook file.
- Rep the process on the other side of the hook. Never touch the point's interior. Sharpen each of the three sides. Most hook files have a groove on one or both sides for the hook to slide down and sharpen all three sides at the same time. We prefer to use the flat portion of the file instead, making sure to hit the bottom, left, and right sides of the hook point in separate passes, because we use a wide range of hook diameters.
- Sharpen the point even more with the red sharpening stone. To finish, repeat with the green stone.
- The difference between a standard hook and one that has been sharpened is noticeable.
4. How to maintain fishing hooks sharp?
Whether buying cheap or expensive hooks, even sharpening a fishing hook, anglers must be careful to keep careful. Many methods exist to assist anglers in regaining the fishing hook, but according to the experience of many professional anglers, you should try the following:
- When the hook is finished, it is incubated for about three days. Regularly check because the hook extrudes a layer of rusted iron surrounding it, then wash it under running water. You've got the hook back to its original shape.
- A slightly corroded hook will be very oblique and sharp. According to the scientist, the lactic acid in the batch causes a positive reaction with the metal, creating a corrosion process that makes the tip of the tongue sharper.
- If you have not used the hook, you should store it in a box to prevent air attack, keep this accessory sharp, not oxidized, and last for a long time.
- In case anglers want to prevent the hook rusting? Sharpening a hook also removes the protective outer coating, exposing the point to rusting and weakening. The pH of waterways varies, but this process can happen very quickly in some places. A dab of Vaseline or a special pen can help slow down the process, but these are usually only temporary solutions.
Hook Sharpener is one of the necessary equipment for any anglers. Not only saving angler money on buying the new one but also making your fishing trip effectively. Above is all information about Hook Sharpener and Benefits of Hook Sharpener For Fishing. Through the article, we hope you can know more about it and consider your buying choice.